The Weatherhead Fall Career Fair on Friday, October 27, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in PBL, is fast approaching and it is time to prep for the event! Do not come unprepared, come over prepared! Is there such a thing?! Probably not. CMO wants to stress the importance of knowing your audience (the employers) and knowing your story. Why are you talking to that specific company? What draws you to that role? Why are you a good fit?
Here are some pro tips:
Before the Fair
- Review the companies on the digital Employer Guide also provided in CareerLink under Workshops – Weatherhead Fall Career Fair
- Create a list of top companies: Research your top companies using CMO’s Company Research Resources document found in CareerLink under Document Library
- Apply for any posted roles that fit your career path: If you apply in advance it will allow you to more quickly advance in the process post-fair.
- Determine your pitch for each company: Tailor your story to the company and position. Your unique interest in that specific company should shine through.
During the Fair
- The first company you approach at the Career Fair should be a company that is NOT at the top of your list! Practice your pitch and get out your jitters on companies that are not on the top of your list. Then, when it matters most, you’ll be more relaxed and confident.
- Bring hard copies of your resume and business cards if you have them. Business cards can be created at Printing Services on campus.
- Build a rapport with company representative. Before jumping into your story ask a question like, “How’s the day going for you?” – this is enough to break the ice and get a conversation going.
- Write down every recruiter’s name and details about the company and position. Ask for the recruiter’s business card if the conversation went well. If you can’t get a business card then write down their name and look them up later
After the Fair
- Write down any new information about each role/company.
- Write follow-up emails to recruiters that you met. Look them up on LinkedIn or CareerShift (found under Jobs tab in CareerLink) and send follow-up email after the fair.