November 18, 2016

MSM-Finance Students Attend NYC City Trek

Over Fall Break students in the MSM-Finance program went on a NYC City Trek, exploring not only
New York City but also visiting a variety of companies including Bloomberg, PrivCo, Deloitte and Daruma Capital Management. It was another successful City Trek filled with business insights and great site seeing!

Here are a few thoughts about the trip from our students:

Sheng Tang, second-year MSM-Finance student, commented, “Visiting so many excellent companies and connecting with alumni in NYC was really inspiring. I love the visit to Daruma most. It gave me new understanding in investing aside from the numerical part.”

David Chen, MSM-Finance candidate, said, "It was a really nice opportunity to visit NYC during the break. All companies we visited, including Bloomberg and Deloitte, gave us a decent introduction and presentation. The best part of the trip was not just learning more about the industry but actually interacting with those people who you may work with in the future!

Lue Fang, Lei Gao and Mengsha Li, all second-year MSM-Finance students, described their experiences below.

What was your favorite employer visit (Bloomberg, PrivCo, Deloitte, Daruma Capital Management) and why?
Fang: I think I liked Daruma Capital Management the most. That company has a very nice environment and company culture. The speech was truly about helping us instead of purely advertising their company.

Gao: I was impressed by the visit of Bloomberg. The employees were very nice and patient. They not only trained us how to use Bloomberg briefly, but also showed us around the office. Moreover, the working environment in Bloomberg seemed pretty good.

Li: My favorite employer visit was Daruma. In Daruma, the founder and COO did a heart-to-heart communication with us, teaching us about how to look for a job, networking and enjoying life.


What new information did your learn during the city trek?
Fang: I learned that while we are seeking our careers, finding the field you truly like is very important.

Gao: I leaned that there might be a huge job demand in the area of risk management, e.g. CCAR.

Li: I was wondering what size of company I should work for. The city trek gave me a good sense of how small, medium and large companies are different from each other.


What surprised you about New York City or the companies you visited?
Fang: Bloomberg building is all glass structured. Transparency seems to be very important to them.

Gao: It was my first time to visit NYC. Manhattan is fancy and I can find almost everything I need.

Li: Each company had its own corporate culture and organization structure that influence its employees in different ways.


How did this trip help you with your career goals?
Fang: It helped me open my eyes to the big city.

Gao: It helped me to have a deeper insight into the hot issues in current financial areas, which I will focus on more when seeking jobs.

Li: I learned I don't really want to be a small fish in a big pond.


What was your favorite thing to see or do in NYC?
Fang: I think I liked the metropolitan museum the most.

Gao: One of my favorite things to do in NYC is to watch a Broadway show.

Li: The old buildings and one way roads are the funny things to see in NYC. It's like a big city trying its best to contain a large amount of people from all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment