August 26, 2016

Intern report: Navigating a large financial institution

Stephen Humphries is a student in Weatherhead's MBA program.

As a first year MBA student, my goal was to find a summer internship opportunity where I could learn, grow and contribute, and one that would lead to a career change. Bank of America provided an opportunity to do just that.

In June, I joined Bank of America’s Operations MBA intern class of 2016. My role, as a business support manager, was to support, manage and improve business functions, processes and lines of business. In other words, I helped support the technology that supports the operations that supports the consumer brokerage banking business. I learned much from my project management team about change management, resource allocation and annual planning. We were encouraged to reach out; I found out first-hand that the Bank is filled with intelligent, talented people. I couldn’t have asked for a better opportunity.


Some call Queen City the financial center of the South. Besides Bank of America, Charlotte is also home to Coca-Cola Bottling Co, Lowes, Duke Energy, Harris Teeter, Family Dollar and Nucor, to name a few. Even though Charlotte is nine hours away from Cleveland, both cities share some commonalities. Much like Cleveland, Charlotte is a small city with big town amenities – Panthers (NFL), Hornets (NBA), Knights (AAA-MLB), NASCAR Hall of Fame, eateries, breweries, bars and plenty to do during the day and night. Charlotte also has great golf courses, where I spent most weekends.

Since my background has heavily favored revenue generation, working on the back-end at a Fortune 50 institution was an eye-opening experience. My education from Weatherhead played a major role in my success this past summer. I utilized something from each core class taken in my first year; however, if it wasn’t for the support of the Career Management Office and the Weatherhead family (faculty/staff, alumni, current and former students), I wouldn’t have been able to navigate the Bank as well as I did. I highly encourage incoming students to continue to utilize the Weatherhead family as much as possible.

I look forward to returning to Cleveland and Weatherhead to continue to learn, grown and contribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment