August 12, 2016

Intern Report: Developing innovative solutions at Amazon.com

Satinder Kaur is a candidate in Weatherhead's MBA program.

It’s 6:30 a.m. and 2,000 people have parked their cars to start the day. It's another challenging day with new targets to meet and new history to be created at Hazelton Amazon Fulfillment center. No two days have been the same.

This summer, I worked as a pathways operations intern at Amazon.com Inc, ranked #8 among most innovative companies and #12 in world’s most valuable brand. Amazon stands on the strong pillars of 14 leadership principles and a very dedicated and innovative team. I spent my summer working with the best minds from all over the country. And together we devised innovative solutions to very challenging problems. The opportunity to work on real-time situations has increased my knowledge and exposed me to the ever-challenging online retail business. A week-long trip to Seattle, Washington, gave me an inside look to Amazon’s business structure and the opportunity to network and participate in fun-filled events with all 185 MBA interns and managers at higher levels.

Weatherhead School of Management has prepared me well to create an influence on others with my work. The team from the Career Management Office was the greatest source that helped me to crack the four rounds of interviews. Julie Gutheil personally made sure I felt prepared. To be successful in my role, my everyday responsibility was to work with 150-200 associates. It was very important for me to understand their comfort zones and challenges. Weatherhead's LEAD course led by Ellen van Oosten and operations course taught by Alireza Kabirian helped to bring two different subject areas together. Part of my final presentation also required financial forecasting. I performed detailed data analysis learned from Daniel Solow and prepared forecasting using finance case studies taught by J.B. Silvers.

I can't imagine I could have done anything more enjoyable this summer than working at Amazon. I had a summer full of learning, fun and intellectual growth. During this time, I was able to travel to five states and try different cuisines.

Summer fun is still going on. I am looking forward to get back to school soon and excited to meet you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment