June 24, 2016

Intern Report: Seeing Cleveland through a different lens

Meaghan Hennessy is a candidate in the full-time MBA program.

As a Cleveland native going to school in Cleveland, I went into this summer working in Cleveland thinking I had seen it all. However, my first few weeks of working have been anything but familiar. I am spending my summer at KeyBank in the Enterprise Lean Six Sigma (ELSS) group working on the integration of recently acquired First Niagara Financial Group. My role within the group is managing employee experience projects to ensure First Niagara employees are prepared when the two banks legally become one on August 1. ELSS is usually associated with operations or statistics, but I am also leveraging skills learned in marketing, finance and accounting to help me in my day-to-day projects.

While my work is keeping me busy, Key continues to engage us with events and learning opportunities for all 150 of their interns. We were divided into small groups during orientation and our groups are made up of interns from all over the U.S. in different groups throughout the bank. In these groups we attend networking events, host guest speakers and present on current economic topics. Key also supplies opportunities for volunteering throughout the Greater Cleveland areaour first week we split up into six different groups and worked on beautifying Cleveland for the Republican National Convention by painting, planting and cleaning up downtown.

Key has done a great job keeping us engaged and entertained but nothing compares to the excitement surrounding the Cleveland Cavaliers and the city’s first championship in 52 years. The last few weeks have been a whirlwind that the whole city took part in. The streets were filled with people high-fiving, hugging and screaming “GO CAVS!” and it all concluded with a parade right outside Key Tower. The intern program manager told us our first day “This is a great time to be at Key in Cleveland” but no one could have guessed how great it’d be.


No comments:

Post a Comment