September 11, 2015

INTERN REPORT: Aligning your goals and values

Jaclyn Agui, MBA candidate, held an internship this summer at Tesoro Corporation, a Fortune 100 Company operating as a refiner and marketer of petroleum products in the United States. Tesoro is headquartered in San Antonio, Texas.

I arrived to San Antonio, Texas, in late May with mixed emotions of excitement and jitters. This was my first time in Texas and my first time working for a large corporation. My previous experiences were with small businesses where hands were needed at every front. In contrast, at Tesoro Corporation I became a part of a very structured internship program, with clear project goals and initiatives.

My efforts surrounded the implementation of cloud-based software to improve lead generation, cost savings and overall business improvement for Tesoro’s marketing segment. Upon joining I had to overcome a steep learning curve for not only my project and responsibilities, but of the industry as a whole. The concept of working with a commodity-based industry like oil and gas involved an adjustment in strategic thinking for me. However over my time with Tesoro, I felt like I contributed meaningful work and gained the respect of my business team. I feel very much embedded in the work culture. Moreover, I have expanded my professional network with a diverse body of individuals from within my intern class and throughout the enterprise.

I think that I entered Tesoro at a very exciting time. I witnessed its growth, a shift in work culture and sprouting support for innovation. This experience has helped me understand what values I find important in a company and how I can actively participate in aligning my goals and values with my organization. Being completely honest, this internship experience far exceeded my high expectations and I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment